Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Fabriholics Anonymous - Check In Time - February

Well, I've spent another month on the not-buying-fabric-waggon and I am pleased to report I haven't even started to fall off. (Although when Jo started selling off her Liberty stock to make way for new season Liberty I could have cried. All that lovely reduced Liberty, including Hello Kitty and I couldn't buy!!!)

The only fabric to cross my threshold this month has been in the form of a fab prize from a give away Helen did to guess where she was going and what she would be doing. As luck would have it, my name was drawn out of the hat of correct answers and I got some treats!


Valentines Day
The little packet contains needles and they're a joy to sew with!

The only time not buying fabric has been a big challenge this month is in the planning of a lap quilt for a birthday present.  I have been musing on ideas for a quilt. I want something quick and simple (so I don't start a project, find I've bitten off more than I can chew and relegate it to the WIP's basket for a good few years.) but the trouble with anything I was thinking of that's not random squares from my stash sewn together was: needing things I don't have. By things I'm really thinking solids.

Maybe there is a big message about being a fabriholic in here. You see I'd say I have a pretty reasonable sized stash. It's not going to fill a closet or a sewing room. But it does spill out of a decent sized chest of drawers. However, I'm beginning to think those that can restrict themselves to a few lovelies they can't live without and then only buying what they need on a quilt by quilt, bag by bag basis might be onto a winner. No wasted pennies on a load of lovelies that might take them years to use - when really what they're crying out for is a yard of Kona in a bright colour.

I decided as I wouldn't be buying Kona or even swapping for it I'd go back to my stash and see if I could approach it like I was in a fabric shop. I pulled open the drawer where my fat quarters are stashed and pulled out a couple I thought my friend might like. Then I pulled out some others that matched at least one or two colours in the first two and went from there. Before I knew it I'd pulled out 11 fat quarters and a half yard and had everything I needed to make the front of a quilt.  I tried really hard to only look at colour and patterns and not get precious about whether that was some bit of special fabric I was saving. I  mean saving for what exactly? A special project? Well, this was that project. It made it much easier to let go and just use the fabric.

I pulled out enough fabric to get started on a St Louis 16 Patch. It's all cut up and waiting for me to have enough time to sew it together!

I'm thinking st louis 16 patch lap sized for a birthday gift?



FabAnon

15 comments:

Helenjean said...

and they all go so well together too. Well done with the not shopping

Charlotte said...

gorgeous bundle! It's going to be lovely :-)

Katy Cameron said...

Well done on holding out, and looks like you 'shopped' well!

Ada Kopitopoulou said...

You don't need to shop, this looks great together!

memmens said...

Brilliant month there lady, well done one pulling a whole quilt top from stash. This fasting really does focus the mind!

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

You did good! That's a beautiful fabric pull!

Collette said...

Beautiful fabric pull love the colours and well done on resisting the urge!

Indianna said...

A great selection from you playing shops at home ... Hope you paid for it!

mammafairy said...

Love your colour choices!This should be a quick and effective quilt!That corally/pinky/ orange is so pretty with the blue.

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's going to be a gorgeous quilt!

Rebecca Lynne said...

Whoa! Loving the idea of "shopping in your stash"! Would love to use this idea, and a link to your blog, in my next update. You game?

lynnepusscat.com said...

Wow! loving the idea of shopping your stash, I never thought of it like that, but it's exactly what I need to do, and a whole lot more often :-)
LPC

Ella said...

Wooo! Way to shop your stash!

pennydog said...

I've found this month challenging in the solids department too, but it was for a swap so I decided they can just make do ;)

Reene@Nellie's Niceties said...

Great fabric pull :)