Sunday, 16 February 2014

My First Quilt Finish of the Year

There is actual bright sunshine. (Shock horror!) So this morning after the usual trip to the supermarket I went outside to try and get some pictures of my first quilt finish of the year. Now I know I said I'd be more creative with my photography, but I can think of where I can go which won't be damp and muddy right now, so the garden it is. The quilt hasn't been washed so I wasn't too bothered by a bit of dirt (As long as it doesn't mark the quilt back forever!)


Mum's vintage sheet quilt
I'm not going to complain about the sunshine being so bright there are shadows!

The quilt is made entirely from vintage sheets. The backing is half a single duvet I found in a charity shop. One of my first vintage sheet finds. The majority of the rest of the quilt is pieced from 5" charms or fat quarters bought from Mary, I also used some of the left over bits of sheeting from backing my first vintage sheet quilt and Helen kindly sent me a couple of pieces of her latest vintage sheet finds. Both lovely additions to the quilt. 

I quilted it in diagonal lines in both directions through each square using some neutral 50wt Aurifil.  The binding was a vintage pillowcase cut into strips and joined so it would create this stripy binding. I still have about a quarter of the pillowcase left so it's amazing how much just one can yield. I don't have the exact size of this quilt, but it's single bed sized - round about 5' x 6'.  (which made it a nightmare to baste and I didn't really get that right and have a few puckers on the back to show for it!)

Mum's vintage sheet quilt

Not only is this my first quilt finish of the year, but it's my first finish for the FAL first quarter 2014. You can see it on my original list here.

Finish Along 2014





16 comments:

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

Gorgeous finish and so pretty in the sunshine. We've got sun here for the first time in ages and it's hurting my eyes!! Amazed you got so much binding from one pillowcase!

Katy Cameron said...

Yay for finishes and for sun! It's lovely and bright colours too, I always seem to imagine vintage sheets erring on the browns and mustards a la the 1970's!

Leanne said...

It's a beautiful quilt! And nice to see sunshine at your house.

Diane-crewe said...

well done .. who looks at the back any way!! lol x LOVE the fact that the sun is shining at last x had some here in Cheshire too x

Lynz said...

It's so pretty!! Well done in a finish-along tick and a timely gift make!

Flying Blind... said...

Looks so pretty - lucky mum xxx

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's beautiful!!

verykerryberry said...

A great result Jan, lovely gentle bursts of flowers and colour

barbara woods said...

great quilt, i am thinking about making one of those if i ever get thrugh with my hunter's star quilt , that is if it doesn't kill me

Charlotte said...

the sunshine was so wonderful yesterday! Makes your lovely quilt look even more beautiful :-)

DeborahGun said...

this is so pretty :-) I am slowly beginning to love vintage fabric quilts!

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

This is such a pretty quilt! Beautiful job

Freddie said...

Lovely quilt.

pennydog said...

There's some real treasures in there!

Annabella said...

I confess to not having previously been taken by the vintage sheet thing but I have to say your quilt is beautiful! And sunshine too!!

Catrin Lewis said...

It's so beautiful Jan. I must confess that although I have ample sheeting supplies I still haven't made anything with my hoard :-( I'm hoping to rectify that with a soy amado quilt but I doubt it will be as pretty as yours. Lucky mum x